Recipe of the Week: Flank Steak with Coffee-Peppercorn Marinade
Ever wonder what to do with that left-over coffee in the morning? Why not save it up and use it for dinner! Here’s how:
Flank Steak with Coffee-Peppercorn Marinade
- 3 tablespoon coffee, brewed, strong
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, balsamic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar, brown
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns, black, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pounds beef, flank steak, trimmed of fat
- Whisk coffee, vinegar, oil, sugar, garlic, peppercorns and sea salt in a glass dish large enough for meat to lie flat.
- Add steak and turn to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- Heat grill to high.
- Remove steak from marinade.
- Discard marinade.
- Lightly oil grill rack (see Grilling Tips below)
- Place steak on grill and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice thinly across the grain and serve.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Rest Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Allergy Warning: Red meat
Nutritional Information: Calories: 230, Saturated Fat: 3g, Sodium: 337mg, Dietary Fiber: 0g, Total Fat: 9g, Carbs: 3g, Cholesterol: 45mg, Protein: 23g
- To oil a rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.
- Do not stick a fork in your steak – you will lose valuable juices and with juices goes flavor. Use tongs with steaks.
- Do not pat your steak down – again you will lose valuable juices.